Wednesday, May 2, 2012


Learning from HOMES
... Her Organic Man Eating Sustainably

Writer's Note: This introduces the learning and practice of my organic man, Tim: a New York State Registered Nurse (-and lifelong athlete learning to adjust to life changes.)

Since living with Tim, I have enjoyed even greater health and vitality.  I call him my "Organic Man" because of the way his day unfolds, the style in which he lives his life,  the way he thinks about his life, and sustaining all of this -the way he eats.

Since September, I've learned to increase and decrease certain dietary elements (thus nutrients) in my daily diet.  I have increased my protein and fiber.  I have decreased my fat content AND portion size.  Recently, I realized I am ready to share this stylistic change with those I care about.  Rewiring isn't something we should keep to ourselves!

Tim and I have shared pictures of our meals via cell phone and email with each other since our first encounter last June.  It's become one way of being together when we were apart -a delicious way of simply sharing a meal, a glass of wine, during my travels across country.  Recently, I realized that sharing pictures of foods we prepare daily is helpful to family and friends who also want to enjoy the results of Our HOMES Way!

For the past two weeks, I've snapped casual shots of our daily dishes, then I email them (+recipe) to both Tim and I.  We're "gathering."  Our HOMES Way Online cookbook is growing.   Yesterday, I was Skyping with my daughter, a vegetarian recovering from the flu.  Tim handed me a glass of his Blueberry  Shake ... rich in protein and bioflavinoids, low in calories.  I shared some information about daily protein requirements for via Tim's nutritional coaching.  This morning, after taking a pic of our breakfast, I decided blogging serves as viable avenue for little lessons that make sense to readers ready to rewire.  Here's Lesson One gleaned from my resident RN:

Protein is the body's building block.  Our body's cells replace themselves every four months (or sooner).  Without sufficient protein intake daily, our bodies do not have what they need to grow stronger tissues: blood, muscles, organs, and bones (the latter is also heavily mineral...more on minerals in another lesson). Stem cells reproduce the tissue in their locality as old ones die off and new must be generated.


A rule of thumb to determine how much protein an individual needs daily: body weight divided by 2.  Given my activity level and weight (110 pounds), I need to take in 55 grams of protein daily to replace and restore my current body.  Activity level? I exercise 6/7 days each week, alternating "demanding" days with lighter yoga days.  I have included use of light weights since September ... they make a noticeable difference. (Activity is another focus we will save for  future lessons.) 


Incorporating sufficient protein daily, without unnecessary fat, is not hard but does require reading labels, planning ahead,  and tracking intake.  After a week of this, recognition becomes automatic:

  1. Egg whites offer  easy and excellent protein.  One egg white is approximately 6 grams of protein.  Keep hard-boiled eggs stocked in the fridge.  If making a salad chop three (saving only one or two yolks depending on your cholesterol concerns).   If making an omelet, we can use just one egg yolk (or two) and refrigerate the rest to thicken soup later. (18 grams).  It's the EGG WHITE  that provides your protein.
  2. Turkey breast offers us the leanest meat.  Google how many ounces of lean turkey gives you 15-20 grams of protein. You will be pleasantly surprised.
  3. One 14 and three quarter ounce (418 grams) can of Wild Alaska Red Salmon offers 13 grams of protein per quarter cup serving (just 2 oz., or 63 grams).  This means the entire can offers 7 (13 gram) servings of protein, totalling 91 grams of protein.  Half the can is close to my daily need for protein.  
  4. After reading the labels on her vegetarian lunch items, daughter noticed her can of pea soup (nuts and legumes offer mild doses of protein, but remember nuts are loaded with fat) gave her 14 grams of protein ... and the package of tofu ( soup enhancer)  offered a whopping 45 grams.
  5. Whey protein shakes offer a quick way to gather sufficient protein and make an easy, refreshing snack. One scoop provides 18 grams of protein.

So calculate how much protein you need daily and read labels to measure your meals.  I like to consider 4 flexibly sized,moderate meals per day: 15-20 grams per meals.  If I grab protein rich snacks, such as a scant handful (not fistful), I have taken in approximately 6 grams of protein ... then I adjust my meal intake accordingly. If I engage strenuous exercise that day (which I generally do three out of six days per week) I move toward 60 grams of protein. If I just do yoga, I lean toward 50 grams.  

This kind of intake attention and flexible self-regulation amounts to a mindfulness practice, a way of stewarding the greatest physical resource we have ...our body. 

How do you offer your body protein to grow your body stronger and last longer?


No comments:

Post a Comment